Resume is the first impression you give to the hiring manager when you send an application online for a job you thought is suitable for you based on your experiences. Every country has its own writing and resume style or preference but in general what all those people seek in the resume is the information of what you have done in a precise manner which depicts how you can be fit for the role you are applying for. If you go ahead and create your resume and apply for the jobs whatever comes under your experience you think you will be considered?
The answer to the question is NO! let’s try to understand from the company perspective for a job listed online. The company has its own culture, values and set standards along with expertise they are seeking to hire must be reflected along with their said expectations. Let’s break down the job description in totality of a sample job.
Job description sample (Taken from Monster):
Source: Java Developer Sample Job Post
Java Developer Job Responsibilities:
Creates user information solutions by developing, implementing, and maintaining Java based components and interfaces.
Tile: Java Developer
Location: New York city, NY
- Defines site objectives by analyzing user requirements; envisioning system features and functionality.
- Designs and develops user interfaces to internet/intranet applications by setting expectations and features priorities throughout development life cycle; determining design methodologies and tool sets; completing programming using languages and software products; designing and conducting tests.
- Recommends system solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development and purchase alternatives.
- Integrates applications by designing database architecture and server scripting; studying and establishing connectivity with network systems, search engines, and information servers.
- Creates multimedia applications by using authoring tools.
- Completes applications development by coordinating requirements, schedules, and activities; contributing to team meetings; troubleshooting development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
- Supports users by developing documentation and assistance tools.
- Updates job knowledge by researching new internet/intranet technologies and software products; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Java Developer Skills and Qualifications:
Java, Java Applets, Web Programming Skills, Teamwork, Verbal Communication, Web User Interface Design, Software Requirements, Software Development Process, Object-Oriented Design (OOD), Multimedia Content Development, Software Debugging
Let’s start from discussing the title of the job it is always advised to be clear on the title you put on your resume because you never know who is reading your resume has the understanding of differentiating between developer, coder, engineer and programmer even these simple things make difference. In many companies based on their hierarchy structure they designate people wherein they put different titles for same work for example:
And now let’s discuss the importance of the industry as you can see the job displays there that they development going to be in banking industry but there is nothing mentioned in the job duties or responsibilities but the people would interested to see application from banking industry who are developers or programmers in case you have mentioned on the employer side who you are working with you will have to mention highlighting the terms having 5 or 10 years of experience in building banking applications.
Moving ahead let’s discuss the duties and responsibilities of the role which was displayed in the job a HR or recruiter would always would like to see the relevancy of the same in your resume of your current or past duties even this can be a point of rejection for your application of your job along with skills and qualification whatever the technologies and skills are required mentioned has to be highlighted in your resume to show your technical fitment of your candidature.
Advice for killer job application for job advertised:
Read the job carefully and understand what they are looking for and their culture give some time for research on the social and professional platforms. Edit your summaries, required skills and responsibilities of your resume along with the job advertised if you do not have that experience or exposure write the closest possible thing you have done or used so as to make you relevant for the job.
Title / Designation: Keep as relevant as possible to the job otherwise your resume can be rejected based on over qualification of your resume.
Location: Your location for the job is always important for them so be clear of where you stay or if relocating how will you manage writing that you have people you know there always assures HRs to keep the ball rolling.
Education: Mentioning your education qualification always help along with the year you completed your education, there is two side of this coin one side is that if you put they will calculate your education years + experience which will eventually lead to judgement of your age and rejection second side is if they are processing your application for the job they have to feed this information in the system and do not have to follow up for details.
Skills & Experience: You never know who is reading your resume on the other side of the table so making sure whatever advertised online for the job you must reflect in your resume along with bolding font to the relevant experiences you had with your existing or past companies.
Cover Letter: As many of us are aware that resumes more than 2 pages are always boring to read and evaluate it is important that you keep your resume 2 page long and separately create a cover letter that talks about your interest and what makes you different from other applications. As this trend has become old and people are very much skill and resume focused creating this will not help much could be a good plus point provided there is an option to upload the same.
Recruiters always want to present latest, current and recent experienced resumes to the client for the advertise criteria of the job so it is very much important for you to keep it as relevant and as recently possible showing your exposure of that technology or skill in the recent or current job along with inclusion those things in the summary, responsibilities, duties and more.
NOW YOUR MIND MUST BE TALKING TO YOU THAT WHO HAVE GOT TIME TO DO ALL THESE THINGS EVERY TIME YOU APPLY FOR JOB TWEAKING RESUME ACCORDINGLY?! THINK AGAIN ITS YOUR CAREER AND ITS WHERE YOU GONNA SPEND YOUR PRECIOUS TIME WHICH WILL DEFINE YOUR CAREER SUCCESS AND GROWTH!!.
With that said you yourself can understand that there is nothing called a killer resume, every time and on every job you apply you will need to tweak a little your resume for job description based on the role, industry, responsibilities, duties, required skills and qualification advertised in the job.